Friday, May 14, 2010

I've Found Heaven!

This morning as I drove to work on auto pilot, a sign caught my immediate attention and brought me out of my trance. It wasn't the design of the sign that snapped me back to life, but the wording...Nicola's Donuts. Oh my...doughnuts! If there is one thing I can't resist, no matter what time of the day, it's a fresh, chocolate frosted, vanilla cream filled donut.  I grew up on Dunkin Doughnuts in my home state of NJ. When my parents  moved us to Florida, I was immediately introduced to Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. If the "Hot Now" sign was lit, you know I was there.

The route I navigated to the office didn't include a doughnut shop...until now. How could I squelch the temptation of enjoying a homemade donut, when someone up above had heard my morning cries for something sweet? I made a quick U-turn, pulled into the parking lot and sprinted into Nicola's. As I swung the door open, the smell of sugary delight made my mouth water, as my eyes gazed upon a wall and large glass case of colorful circles. These doughnuts were huge and truly homemade. Nicola's only had one other location in the entire United States and that one was also in Tampa.

The time had come for me to decide whether this place would forever change my morning commute, from drab to fab! I ordered a vanilla chocolate iced cream filled donut. The chocolate frosting oozed over the sides of this perfectly round confection. It immediately set it a part from other places, where the icing is barely visable or is so hard,  it crumbles in the bag. As I bit into this gigantic round doughball, I was overcome by the incredible taste of chocolate and vanilla. This doughnut was packed and I mean packed with vanilla cream. Not just a squirt...packed! The chocolate icing...luscious.

Today, I didn't just find a new place for breakfast on my way to work....I found heaven!   However, don't just take my word. Check it out for yourself.

Nicola's Donuts is located at 14390 N. Dale Mabry Hwy in Tampa, Florida.

Enjoy!

Nicola's Donut Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment